Science is all around us in our everyday lives, consequently it is an important part of our curriculum. Our aim is that by the time children leave Larkfield they will have the scientific knowledge that they need to prepare them for success in the next stage of their education, and have an understanding of the world around them.
At Larkfield, our Science teaching offers opportunities for children to:
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics;
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them;
- Be equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
- Develop the essential scientific enquiry skills to deepen their scientific knowledge.
- Use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, scientific manner, including ICT, diagrams, graphs and charts.
- Develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own, and other children’s safety.
- Develop an enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery.
The Scientific area of learning is concerned with increasing pupils’ knowledge and understanding of our world, and with developing skills associated with
Science as a process of enquiry. It develops the natural curiosity of the child, encourages respect for living organisms and the physical environment and provides opportunities for critical evaluation of evidence.
Children have weekly lessons in Science throughout Key Stage 1 and 2, using various programmes of study and resources. In Early years, science is taught through the children learning about the world around them in their learning through play and exploration.
Additional opportunities are provided in Science, such as Sports Skills Days, Science days for children, Science assemblies, visits to High Schools for enrichment days, educational visits and use of the outdoor Science Zone.
We endeavour to ensure that the Science curriculum we provide will give all children the confidence and motivation to continue to further develop their knowledge as they progress into the next stage of their education and life experiences.